by Nortown Paving Construction Inc.
- In most cases it is sufficient to obtain an estimate on regarding your existing driveway. IN this case the contractor will remove the existing asphalt, re-grade the existing stone base and add to the base of necessary to achieve a total of 6” after compaction. The asphalt layer should be 2” deep after compaction.
- If after the existing asphalt is removed, it is discovered that the exiting base is inadequate, then it becomes necessary for a complete base excavation. This involves the removal of all existing materials, regarding of the underlying earth and replacement of a 6” base followed by a 2” (after compaction) layer of asphalt. Note, this is most costly asphalt driveway treatment.
- This involves laying an additional 1 ½” (after compaction) layer of asphalt onto the existing driveway. Homeowners should be aware that this treatment is not usually recommended as any cracks or defects on the driveway will generally show through very quickly onto the new surface.
- What type of base is required? Base stone is generally ‘grade A” gravel or crushed limestone. These aggregates are recommended since they offer the best compaction and drainage qualities.
WHAT IS ASPHALT?
- Asphalt is a petroleum-based fluid in a semi-solid state mixed with sand and gravel. It is affected by heat and cold, any movement beneath the foundation and any weight placed on it. It is more resilient than concrete.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT GRADES OF ASPHALT?
- Asphalt is graded according to the size of the aggregate it is mixed withHL3A asphalt mix is generally used for most residential applications. It provides a finer, smoother, more attractive finish than HL3 mix. HL3 Asphalt mix is the type used on the streets and highways. This coarser mix will provide better traction on steep driveways and is also somewhat stronger. Asphalt fact: Did you know that during the first three years a new 1,000 square foot driveway may lose up to 30 pounds of sand and stone as the asphalt oxidizes in the sun!
DO I NEED CURBS?
- If the wheels of your car generally park close the edge of the driveway, then it is recommended to have the driveway contained with concrete curbs or pressure treated wood for added support. The weight of a car can cause the edges of a driveway to a gradually deteriorate.
NEED MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PAVING CONTRACTORS?
- Read about what paving contractors do and what to expect when hiring an asphalt paving contractor in your area. Download our PDF for the Do's and Don't to protect your driveway during the hot summer months..
Minimum charge for any asphalt paving project is $2000
Nortown Paving & Construction Inc. is fully insured and carries a performance bond registered with the Ministry of Consumer and Commercial Relations. Nortown Paving & Construction Inc. is a member of the Better Business Bureau.